Add custom fields to Microsoft Project 2010
In MS project you can add custom fields of multiple types, for example RAG status
, project phase
, or sprint.
There are two categories of customizable fields: task fields and resource fields.
In each of these categories, you can do the following:
- Rename the custom fields permanently so that the new name appears wherever the field name appears.
- Add a value to a custom field.
- Add a formula to a customer field.
- Designate graphic indicators to appear in a custom field in place of the data.
(Daley, 2011, p. 120).
Adding a field of text type
Project has dedicated predefined fields for the user to customize in a variety of ways. All the fields
are accessible on the Project tab, Custom Fields (Daley, 2011, p. 119).
The quickest way to add a custom field in two steps
- Right click a column heading and simply select Insert Column.
- Then simply type the name of your field
A field of text type will be added to your view. In this case we have added a field called 'New column' which has been allocated to Text 7.
To create custom fields of other types, for example date or duration go to Project Tab >> Custom fields.
Creating custom fields - references
Daley, S. 2011. Microsoft Project 2010 in Depth
, Pearson Education, Inc. p.120.
Read more guides on using Microsoft Project