The template is fully editable with Excel and can be converted or changed to suit specific project requirements. The contents of the template are shown below and hints and tips are includes in the template.
The contents of the WBS Template in Excel
Field Description and guidance completion
The unique reference ID for the activity or task. Typically this will be a format that indicates where the task is in the WBS. For example 1.2.5 see the image below for an example of numbering on a WBS.
WBS Elements Activity, Task, or Sub-Task Name
Enter the name or title of the Task, Sub-task, Activity or Deliverable.
Definition of Activity or Task (Description)
Provide a brief description of this Activity, Task or Sub-Task. This could reference a separate product description or activity definition if more detail is needed.
Responsible Person or Group
Enter the person or group who are responsible for completing the task or activity.
Estimated (E) or Actual (A) Cost (Cross reference to budget)
Enter the estimate or actual cost of the activity or task or add a cross reference to the budget e.g. add a hyperlink to the relevant budget file.
Project Phase (Cross reference to schedule)
Provide the name or number of the phase that this activity falls into. For example you might add an ID and Name from your Excel Gantt Chart or Microsoft Project Schedule.
Excel download - WBS TEMPLATE (xlsx)
Excel download - WBS TEMPLATE (xls)
Excel download - WBS TEMPLATE (ods)
PDF download - WBS TEMPLATE (PDF)
Project Templates to download
- Sample Project Charter - FREE example from a real software project
- Excel Project Plan - FREE excel Gantt Chart template for project planning
- Organizational Breakdown Structure template
- WBS Checklist - Download a Free checklist for reviewing Work Breakdown Structures
- Project Management Templates - View our collection of FREE templates for Project Managers
- MS Project schedules - Get a ready made Microsoft Project Plan for your Project.
- Risk Register template - Download a free Risk Register Template for managing your risks.
- Sample Statement of Work - Writing a SOW is challenging! That is why we are sharing this free example!
- WBS examples - 22 Examples of real world Work Breakdown Structures.