The template is fully editable with Excel and can be converted or changed to suit your project requirements. The contents of the template is shown below.
The contents of the Activity Cost Template
Field Description and guidance completion
- Project name
- Project manager
- Project ID
- Project sponsor
- Date prepared
- Date of last update
Enter the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) ID of the activity. This could also be an activity ID from the project schedule. The key is that it is the unique identifier for the activity that is being estimated.
The person, equipment or material that is needed for this activity. For example, 1 tonne of sand or 1 level 5 Technical Architect.
Enter your estimation of any labor costs.
Enter your estimation of any physical costs. For example the cost of 1 tonne of sand.
If there is a reserve fund set aside enter it here.
This is the total of the labour, physical and reserve estimates.
Basis of estimates
Log the basis of the estimate for example, the unit cost, hourly rate, cost per square metre etc.
Note how the cost was estimated for example analogous, parametric, three-point estimation, expert opinion etc.
Document whether anything was assumed to be true when making the estimate for example, that resources would be available or that unit price would remain fixed.
Here show the expected range in which the actual costs could fall. For example, actual costs maybe between 20 percent lower to 30 percent higher than the estimate.
Give the level of confidence that you have in the estimate. For example, 70 percent confidence.
Download the template!
Excel 97 - 2003 download - Activity Cost Estimating Template (.xls)
Excel download - Activity Cost Estimating Template (.xlsx)
OpenDocument Spreadsheet download - Activity Costs Estimating Template (.ods)
Get a Simple Project Budgeting worksheet - Track materials, labor, tools, actual and estimate costs
Get a Duration Estimation Template - for developing Parametric, Analogous and Three-point estimates
Project Templates to download
- Sample Project Charter - FREE example from a real software project
- Excel Project Plan - FREE excel Gantt Chart template for project planning
- WBS Checklist - Download a Free checklist for reviewing Work Breakdown Structures
- Project Management Templates - View our collection of FREE templates for Project Managers
- MS Project schedules - Get a ready made Microsoft Project Plan for your Project.
- Risk Register template - Download a free Risk Register Template for managing your risks.
- Software Project Plan - Get a ready Made Microsoft Project Plan for your Software Implementation Project.
- Sample Statement of Work - Writing a SOW is challenging! That is why we are sharing this free example!
- WBS examples - 22 Examples of real world Work Breakdown Structures.