Successful projects are all about people. The Communications Plan sets out how you will inform your project team and stakeholders. It describes what information you will provide, when, how and to whom. stakeholdermap.comThis is a FREE Communications Management Plan template in Excel. It includes:
- Information that will be communicated
- How it will be communicated, e.g. email, verbal
- The timing and frequency
- The sender
- Any assumptions and any constraints
In the PMBOK Guide - Sixth Edition, the Communications Management Plan is an output of 10.1 Plan Communications Management and is updated throughout the project. The Communications Plan is an important part of managing stakeholders and will link to your Stakeholder Register and Stakeholder Engagement Plan.
See what is in the Template! Check out the Contents complete with Hints and Tips on how to use.
Check out the contents below or Grab the template now!
The contents of the Communications Management Plan Template
Field Description and guidance completion
Project details and document control
Provide information on the project and document:
- Project Name and Reference
- Project Manager
- Document Date
Give each stakeholder a unique identifier or reference so that it can be easily traced.
Enter the name of the stakeholder or stakeholder group.
Give as much detail as you can about the information that the stakeholder/group needs to receive. For example, 'High level information on go live, new features and training dates.'
Describe how the information will be communicated. For example, email, meetings, website updates, events etc.
Timing or Frequency
Describe when and how often the information will be communicated. For some stakeholders a regular update may be needed for others it may be a one off tied to an event. For example, notification of a new system going online with key technical information for a network support team.
Give the person who will be responsible for making sure the communication is sent. This might not necessarily be the person who writes the email or delivers a presentation, but will be the person who makes the arrangements.
Include any assumptions that you have made about the communication. For example that new website pages will be available or that assets for the comms will be ready e.g. a new logo. It is worth noting any assumptions you have made about the comms being successfully recieved. For example, it might be that you are assuming all users have email access. You might also be assuming that spam filters will not be a problem. Or you may assume that all recipients can read English to a particular level.
Enter any factors that constrain the communication. For example, a date by which it must be delivered, or a max file size for email.
Communications Management Plan Template
Excel download - Communications Management Plan Template (.xls)
Excel download - Communications Management Plan Template (.xlsx)
OpenDocument Spreadsheet download - Communications Management Plan Template (.ods)
Other Project Templates to download
- Excel Project Plan - FREE excel Gantt Chart template for project planning
- Project Management Plan Template - FREE Project Management Plan template with hints, tips and boilerplate text
- WBS Checklist - Download a Free checklist for reviewing Work Breakdown Structures
- Project Management Templates - View our collection of FREE templates for Project Managers
- MS Project schedules - Get a ready made Microsoft Project Plan for your Project.
- Prince2 Templates - All of the Prince2 Templates available here for FREE.
- Risk Register template - Download a free Risk Register Template for managing your risks.
- Software Project Plan - Get a ready Made Microsoft Project Plan for your Software Implementation Project.
- WBS examples - 22 Examples of real world Work Breakdown Structures.