During a project there will be choices, approvals and alternatives to be considered. It can be a life saver to have a record of when and who made a decision. Particularly during project reviews when it can resolve conflicts and inform lessons learned. stakeholdermap.comThis is a FREE Decision Log Template in Excel. It includes:
- Decision category
- Decision detail
- Person responsible
- Decision date
See what is in the Template! Check out the Contents complete with Hints and Tips on how to use.
Check out the contents below or Grab the template now!
The contents of the Decision Log Template
Field Description and guidance completion
Project details and document control
Provide information on the project and document:
- Project Name and Reference
- Project Manager
- Document Date
Give each decision a unique identifier or reference so that it can be easily traced.
Categorise the decision type. For example, approval, process, contractual, financial, technical.
Describe the decision, the context, and impact. Include details of any related changes, for example updates required to the project schedule, creation or approval of a change order, follow-on actions to be taken etc.
Record the person or group which made the decision. For example, the project board or project sponsor.
Record the date the decision was made. It may also be worth recording where it was made, for example, in 14 October Project Steering Committee.
Note down any other useful information. For example, alternatives considered, the reason for the final decision and any related documentation (meeting minutes, background information).
Decision Log Template
Excel download - Decision Log Template (.xls)
Excel download - Decision Log Template (.xlsx)
OpenDocument Spreadsheet download - Decision Log Template (.ods)
Other Project Templates to download
- Excel Project Plan - FREE excel Gantt Chart template for project planning
- Project Management Plan Template - FREE Project Management Plan template with hints, tips and boilerplate text
- WBS Checklist - Download a Free checklist for reviewing Work Breakdown Structures
- Project Management Templates - View our collection of FREE templates for Project Managers
- MS Project schedules - Get a ready made Microsoft Project Plan for your Project.
- Prince2 Templates - All of the Prince2 Templates available here for FREE.
- Risk Register template - Download a free Risk Register Template for managing your risks.
- Software Project Plan - Get a ready Made Microsoft Project Plan for your Software Implementation Project.
- WBS examples - 22 Examples of real world Work Breakdown Structures.