The Project management plan brings together all of the management plans into a comprehensive whole that shows how the project team will carry out the work, monitor progress, control the outputs and close the project. stakeholdermap.comThe project management plan is the project’s operating manual. It includes a description of the Project Life Cycle, the development approach to be used for the deliverables, the project tolerances or variance thresholds, and how the baselines will be managed.
While it does include its own information the bulk of the plan will be made up of subsidiary plans for example: the change management plan, the scope management plan, the requirements management plan, and the cost quality management plan.
Most projects will have also management plans that are relevant to the industry or the nature of the deliverables. For example, a logistics management plan, a safety management plan, or a procurement management plan.
The project management plan is developed during the preparation or intiation phase of the project lifecycle.
This template includes all of the areas you need to cover, with includes useful hints and tips to help you complete each section.
Check out the contents below or Grab the template now!
The contents of the Project Management Plan Template
Field Description and guidance completion
Project details and document control
Provide information on the project and document:
- Project Name and Reference
- Document information: ID, owner, issue date, last saved date, file name or path
- Document history: version, issue date, changes.
- Document approvals: role, name, signature, date
Describe the project life cycle. This may be tailored to the industry, or to a particular project management method, it should include phases for a controlled start, the work itself, quality assurance and project close.
|Phase||Key Activities||Key Deliverables|
|Phase||Reviews||Entry Criteria||Exit Criteria|
Describe the development approach that will be used to create each Deliverable. Approaches could use a traditional waterfall method, an iterative approach or an agile approach.
Subsidiary Management Plans
Note the supplementary management plans for the project. You can reference file names and file-paths or include hyperlinks to electronic versions of the plans.
Document the allowable variances for each aspect of the project. Include the baseline from which variances will measured. For example, allowable scope variance for chosen building material might be a flame spread rating of between 10 and 20 (class I). Unacceptable building material would have a class II or lower rating.
Attach all project baselines.
Project Management Plan Template
Word download - Project Management Plan Template (Word .doc)
PDF download - Project Management Plan Template (PDF)
Other Project Templates to download
- Excel Project Plan - FREE excel Gantt Chart template for project planning
- WBS Checklist - Download a Free checklist for reviewing Work Breakdown Structures
- Project Management Templates - View our collection of FREE templates for Project Managers
- MS Project schedules - Get a ready made Microsoft Project Plan for your Project.
- Prince2 Templates - All of the Prince2 Templates available here for FREE.
- Risk Register template - Download a free Risk Register Template for managing your risks.
- Software Project Plan - Get a ready Made Microsoft Project Plan for your Software Implementation Project.
- WBS examples - 22 Examples of real world Work Breakdown Structures.