You can use this template to create a detailed plan for handling your critical and/or complex projects risks.
The contents of the Risk Mitigation Report Template in Excel
Field Description and guidance completion
- Project number
- Full project name
- Project Manager
- Project Sponsor
- Risk ID
- Risk Description - including the impact to the project if the risk occurs. It may help to use the format 'if x happens, it will mean y'.
Impact of the risk
- Probability - rating of the likelihood of the risk happening. For example, High, Medium or Low.
- Scope - will the risk change the project scope?
- Quality - would the risk impact quality?
- Schedule - will the risk cause a delay or reduction the project schedule?
- Cost - would there be an impact on the project costs?
Use the risk matrix to score the risk. Often the score will be a combination of probability and impact (see Risk Assessment, 4 by 4 risk matrix and 3 by 3 risk matrix.
Describe the action that can be taken to reduce the impact or probability of the risk (see risk responses).
Revised impact once mitigating actions have been completed
- Probability - new rating of the likelihood of the risk happening.
- Scope - new impact on project scope.
- Quality - revised impact on quality.
- Schedule - revised impact on the project schedule.
- Cost - new impact on the project cost.
Actions - any remaining actions.
Responsible party - the person who will do the remaining actions.
The mitigating actions might cause some additional secondary risks, which you can describe here.
Describe any risks that will still be in place once the mitigating actions have been taken.
Describe what you will do if the risk happens. Include any funds and time you have set aside.
Download this template!
Excel 97 - 2003 download - Risk Mitigation Report (.xls)
Excel download - Risk Mitigation Report (.xlsx)
OpenDocument Spreadsheet download - Risk Mitigation Report (.ods)
Project Templates to download
- Sample Project Charter - FREE example from a real software project
- Excel Project Plan - FREE excel Gantt Chart template for project planning
- WBS Checklist - Download a Free checklist for reviewing Work Breakdown Structures
- Project Management Templates - View our collection of FREE templates for Project Managers
- MS Project schedules - Get a ready made Microsoft Project Plan for your Project.
- Risk Register template - Download a free Risk Register Template for managing your risks.
- Software Project Plan - Get a ready Made Microsoft Project Plan for your Software Implementation Project.
- Sample Statement of Work - Writing a SOW is challenging! That is why we are sharing this free example!
- WBS examples - 22 Examples of real world Work Breakdown Structures.