Stakeholder engagement strategies should include plans to utilise positive and influential stakeholders to help drive organisational change. stakeholdermap.comStakeholders can be a useful and positive force by acting as change agents. Change agents transform businesses by encouraging others to change.
A change agent is a person or a thing that is a catalyst for change. Stakeholders who are change agents transform businesses by encouraging others to change. For example by helping to change processes, tools, or behaviours. stakeholdermap.comYour stakeholder engagement strategies should include plans to utilise positive and influential stakeholders to help drive the changes you want to make.
As Bill McElroy and Chris Mills note in the Gower Handbook of Project Management:
stakeholders should be viewed as having a vital role to play as change agents - positively changing the way others view the project. McElroy and Mills, p. 763
How to use positive stakeholdersMcElroy and Mills give some examples of how champion stakeholder can be used as change agents on soft projects:
- persuading people to change working practices
- getting staff to think differently about profit
- asking customers to purchase in new ways
To Identify stakeholder change agents, first complete an analysis of your stakeholders which will enable you to identify powerful and interested stakeholders who can positively influence others. Learn how to analyze your stakeholders.
References and further readingTurner, R. ed., 2007. Gower Handbook of Project Management, Aldershot: Gower.
Read more on Stakeholder Management
- What is a Stakeholder? - This mindmap shows the most authoritative answers to the question What is a Stakeholder?
- What are stakeholders? - video - In this video Freeman explains the thinking behind his definition of a Stakeholder.
- Stakeholder Analysis - How to conduct a Stakeholder Analysis
- Stakeholder Definition - Learn how to identify and stakeholders before they do any damage.
- Stakeholder Engagement - Learn about Stakeholder Engagement approaches and how to develop a stakeholder engagement strategy.
- Stakeholder Planning - How to identify win win strategies and develop an effective stakeholder management plan.
- Stakeholder List - Use this list of over 100 stakeholders to kick-off your stakeholder management.