The Stakeholder Register is a record of all project or company stakeholders, it is usually derived from the results of stakeholder mapping and stakeholder analysis. stakeholdermap.comThe Stakeholder Register differs from Stakeholder Analysis or Stakeholder Engagement plans as it is focused on each stakeholder's name and contact details rather than their power and interest or the engagement strategy to be used for that stakeholder.
As you can probably already guess the register is the key reference tool for sending stakeholder communications, if you are using Stakeholder Software the register will likely be a table within the tool which can be called upon when addressing letters, emails, and mailshots to individuals or groups of stakeholders.
What does the Stakeholder Register contain?As a minimum the Stakeholder Register should contain the following headings:
- Stakeholder Name
- Category (internal / external / primary / secondary) *
- Stakeholder Analysis group (key player, keep informed etc *
- Organisation or group they belong to *
- Stakeholder's role or job title
- Phone numbers
- Website (if applicable)
- Communications sent to date *
- Comments and notes e.g. known contacts, affiliations etc.
The Register is usually best presented in tabular format either in a Word table or in an Excel spreadsheet. It may also form part of a stakeholder database, from which reports and contact lists can be extracted.
Stakeholder Register Template
Download a free Stakeholder Register template in Word, Excel or PDF
Further reading on Stakeholder Management
- Stakeholder Analysis - How to analyse stakeholders identifying the most powerful and influential.
- Stakeholder Definition - Learn the meaning and definition of the term stakeholder and how to identify your stakeholders.
- Stakeholder Engagement - How to create a Stakeholder Engagement Plan
- Stakeholder Lists - Use these stakeholder lists to help identify your stakeholders