IT Project Manager Job Description
This example is a real job description for an IT Project Manager role in the private sector. Names of companies / departments have been removed.
IT Project Manager
IT Service Delivery
Senior Project Manager
To manage the delivery of complex multi disciplinary
projects within agreed time and budget constraints. To work
with users and Head office directorates as well as internal
clients, to determine and manage effective solutions to
facilitate the delivery of IT Service Delivery projects.
- Leading multidisciplinary projects within IT Service Delivery.
- Estimating timelines, measuring risk and devising mitigation strategies for identified risks.
- Drawing up project plans that will support the delivery of the various IT projects being undertaken.
- Maintaining project plans in MS Project Server; updating and tracking progress against the baseline and manage the timely delivery of the projects
- Undertaking project closure as per the IT project management approach.
- Directing and motivating the project team as appropriate.
- Managing expectations for the delivery of the project and escalating issues on deadlines as early as possible senior management to enable appropriate corrective action to be taken.
- Bi-weekly status reporting
- Meeting agreed deadlines and adhering to project time scales.
- Keeping abreast of new and emerging technologies, and other developments in the current area of work.
- Release Management within IT; understanding dependencies between different releases and liaising with other project managers to facilitate resolution where conflicts occur
- Facilitating the management of the portfolio of IT projects. This includes identifying dependencies between projects, particularly in respect of resources, and the reporting of programme level issues and risks.
- Working with the Project Office Manager to facilitate process
improvements to Project Management.
- Where necessary, liaising with third party suppliers to ensure successful delivery of external products
Download this IT Project Manager Job Description in Word
Download a PDF version instead - IT Project Manager job description in PDF
Further reading on Project Management and Project roles
Project Management articles and resources
- Project Management Articles by the Experts! These articles are written by experts in Project Management who have many years experience managing projects across all industries.
Project Manager Salary
- What is the average Project Manager Salary? Well it depends on your country and town or city, your experience, the industry you will be in and your level education. Find out what factors impact salary and how to research the typical salary you can expect in a Project Manager role.
If you liked this page, feel free to recommend us!