The contents of the Issue Log
Form description and guidance for completion
This is a unique identifier for each issue.
Record the current status of each issue, for example:
- Open: The issue is currently open but has not yet been addressed.
- Work In Progress: The issue is being actively worked to develop a resolution.
- Closed: The issue is no longer considered an active project threat and can be closed with or without resolution.
Each issue should have a priority, ideally with color code, for example:
- Critical: Issue will stop project progress.
- High: Issue will likely impact budget, schedule or scope.
- Medium: Issue impact the project, but could be mitigated to avoid an impact on budget, schedule or scope.
- Low: Issue is low impact and/or low effort to resolve.
Give a brief description of the issue. For example:
Concerns raised by board members about the business case are preventing the project moving out of the initiation stage.
The individual who will take ownership of the issue. They won't necessarily take actions to managing or resolve the issue, but they will be accountable.
Estimated Resolution Date
Enter the target date or estimated date for resolution of the issue. This might also include a time stamp for time critical items.
Escalation Needed (Y/N)?
Some issues may need the intervention of senior management. Perhaps to bring additional resources or to approve an action, for example a change request
to implement an action to resolve the risk
In this section you can use a simple: "Yes" if the program/project manager feels an issue needs to be escalated and "No" if escalation is not needed to resolve the issue.
Describe the impact of the issue. This may be in terms of the project constraints of time, cost and scope, see the Project Triangle
Actions to mitigate the issue, avoid the issue or resolve the issue.
The date that the issue was identified.
The name of the person who documented or identified the issue.
Final Resolution and Rationale
Document the final outcome.
- Is the issue resolved if so how?
- Are there any follow-on actions?
- Are there any follow-on risks?
The date that the issue was resolved.